Wednesday, December 19, 2012

What I Made Wednesday {Felt Rosette Wreath}

I'm not done with this cute little wreath just yet, but I wanted to show you how it's coming along and how, with a little time, you can make one, too! It's easy to see how to finish (kind of like Rinse. Lather. Repeat. - self-explanatory).

When I show you how I made this, you just won't believe it. And, bonus, it's actually very relaxing because it's repetitive. I'm not done with the wreath but you can see how it's going to look, can't you?

What You'll Need
Green and Red Felt (more green than red)
Scissors
Plastic Canvas found in the knitting section of your hobby store
Bamboo skewer or some pokey object
Pliers
Round objects to be used as circle templates (I used a juice glass for the felt and a small dessert plate for the wreath)
Pen

What You'll Do
I'm not going to be gentle about this: you will be cutting A LOT of little circles so you decide if you want to cut them all out ahead of time, or as you go along.

  
Take the small dessert plate and use it as a template to draw an outline of a circle with your pen. Cut out the round circle. Then, take a smaller circle template (I used a cocoa mug) to draw and cut-out the center.

Using a small juice glass as a template, trace a circle on the felt with a pen and cut-out. You'll need lots and lots!
Take the cut-out felt and fold it in half (semi-circle). Then, fold it in half again where you end up with a point at the bottom. Take a skewer and push the point of the felt into and through the hole of the plastic canvas.

  

You may need to use pliers to grab the tiny ball of felt protruding through on the other side to help pull it a little more for ultimate security. You don't want your felt rosettes to pop out of your canvas, now do you?







Repeat, repeat, repeat.

The rosette takes up a lot of space on the pretty side. You'll notice I don't really have to bunch them up to fill-in the canvas. See how I have them spaced out, not right on top of each other?





What You'll Need to Know to Finish
 I kept on cutting, poking, pulling, prodding, and fluffing and got to this point:
 It looked so cute, I thought I could cut this and turn it into a lapel pin for my coat during the holidays!!! It would have been adorable and the only thing you need is some glue and a pin fastener.

With time not being on my side, I should have turned this wreath project into a pin project since I'm still not done, but I hope you can see how to finish. Easy, right?

Hope you enjoyed this technique. The possibilities are endless. For instance, next year, I may get white felt, cut-out 3 circles of expanding size, and make a snowman. How adorable would that be? Giggles.

3 comments:

Suzan Wood-Young said...

So cute!

WhatJeanLikes said...

That is so beautiful and creative. I love that you showed a photo step-by-step how to guide!!

I hope you're having a great week my dear!
Thank you so much for linking up to last week's Aloha Friday Blog Hop!! I'm following you.

If you have time, we'd love to have you come and link up to the Aloha Friday Blog Hop if you haven't already! We are hosting a great giveaway too which is a wonderful opportunity to give some extra exposure to you lovely blog. Come and link up, enter the giveaway and celebrate the coming weekend with us!

Aloha,

Jean {What Jean Likes}

Adorned From Above said...

Your wreath is so cute. Thanks so much for sharing at Wednesday's Adorned From Above Blog Hop. Today’s party is live. Here is the link.
http://www.adornedfromabove.com/2013/01/week-in-review-and-wednesdays-adorned.html
Debi and Charly @ Adorned From Above

 

Back to TOP

Boutique Blog Design