Friday, August 17, 2012

Goodbye Week. Hello Weekend. Lessons Learned: Take 58.

Goodbye sweet summer break as the memories take up residence in the crevices of our minds.
Goodbye staying up late, sleeping in, freedom, and no particular place to go.
Goodbye spending lazy days at the pool with dear friends and ordering the best grilled cheese sandwiches 2-bucks can buy.
Goodbye jamming in last-minute summer fun until it overflows.
Goodbye to two of the most awesome golf coaches my son ever had the privilege to learn from.
Hello to a weekend of parties, parties, and more parties.
Hello to watching unfamiliar cars drive by our house and people watching the bargain hunters at our annual neighborhood garage sale (my participation is not in the selling but rather in the buying).
Hello to stressing about the morning highway commute to school, back and forth, forth and back, Monday through Friday (a total of two hours per day).
Hello to haircuts so my littlest guy looks dapper and dude his first day.
Hello to back-to-school.

My lesson learned this week came through tears while watching the latest Disney release, The Odd Life of Timothy Green. I don't want this to be a movie spoiler, so I won't say too much. But, I can tell you I have not bawled like that in a movie theater since Steel Magnolias. You know the scene: the one where Sally Field does her monologue in the cemetery after burying her daughter. Thank goodness for the comic relief at the end of that scene - sheesh! Well, crying all two hours at yesterday's movie really had the message hit home with me. We're all given a set-amount of gifts, and it is our responsibility to share, not hoard, those gifts with very specific people we come across in our lives. Once our gifts are shared with the world, our journey is complete and well-traveled. That's all I'm going to say. Go see the movie this weekend!

This post is not an endorsement for The Odd Life of Timothy Green. I was not compensated by Disney. It is just my personal suggestion and opinion.

2 comments:

Cassie said...

What a fun idea and a great way to look back over the week and prepare for the next week! I'm a new follower from the Aloha hop, and I'd love a follow back at http://www.two-in-diapers.blogspot.com when you get a chance! :)

Ugochi said...

I love movies that touch too, but I like them with happy endings. Thanks for sharing

 

Back to TOP

Boutique Blog Design